Role of the PLA
The PLA decides whether to grant brothel licences and managers’ certificates. In addition, the Prostitution Act 1999 establishes that the PLA is responsible for:
- monitoring the provision of prostitution through licensed brothels
- conducting disciplinary inquiries in relation to licensees and approved managers
- disciplining licensees and managers
- receiving complaints about prostitution
- liaising with the police service and other agencies with a view to assisting them
- collecting fees under the Prostitution Act
- informing relevant government departments and agencies about possible offences that are detected while carrying out its functions
- advising the Minister about prostitution related programs
- advising the Minister about the development of codes of practice for licensed brothels
- approving advertising for prostitution
- maintaining a licence and certificate register.
- raising awareness in prostitutes, judical officers, police, community workers and the community, of issues about prostitution.
The PLA meets at least once a month, and at other times as necessary.