Making an Application
To apply for a brothel licence or a manager’s certificate, an applicant must complete the correct forms and submit the correct fee. Relevant forms are available from the Office of the PLA. Phone: (07) 3858 9500
The processing of brothel licences and managers’ certificates is a lengthy process and is determined by the Act. You can expect your application to take some time to process, particularly if you have applied for a brothel licence.
Detailed information is collected from licence and certificate applicants to determine their ongoing eligibility and suitability for a brothel licence or manager’s certificate and to support decisions by the PLA to grant or refuse licences and certificates.
Any information provided to the PLA is protected under the provisions of the Prostitution Act, which makes it an offence for an official to disclose information obtained by the official in the administration of the Act. ‘Official’ includes the Minister, the Police Commissioner, a member of the PLA, the executive director or a member of staff of the Office of the PLA or an authorised officer of a relevant local government. Disclosures of information may only be made:
- with the consent of the person from whom the information was obtained
- in the administration of the Act
- to the police commissioner
- to the Minister
- with the approval of the PLA, to a person administering a corresponding law
- in a proceeding under the Act or a report of the proceeding
- in a proceeding before a court in which the information is relevant to the issue before the court
- if the information would normally be made available to any member of the public on request.