Sex Work Industry Review

Criminal Code (Decriminalising Sex Work) and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2024

As expected, the Criminal Code (Decriminalising Sex Work) and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2024 was passed by Parliament on Thursday 2 May 2024. If you wish to review proceedings, you can watch the recording or read the Hansard transcript (commencing page 1488). You can access these on the Parliament website.

The Bill will now go to the Governor for Assent and the Bill will become an Act. The Act will not commence until a day to be proclaimed, so we will not know when the decriminalisation provisions will come into effect until then. These decisions will be made during implementation, which I understand will be managed through an implementation committee which is yet to convene. We will continue to make representations to clarify Government’s intentions in respect of fee relief or refunding fees.

Decriminalisation of sex work in Queensland commenced 25 years ago with the Prostitution Act 1999, providing legalisation options for sole sex workers and sex workers at brothels. We are now in the final stages of a process which commenced more than three years ago when Government decided on a full decriminalisation policy and referred the question of a regulatory framework to the QLRC.

Although we now know what is going to happen, we still aren’t certain when it will happen. As new information comes to hand, I’ll ensure you are all kept advised. In the meantime, we will continue to apply the laws as they currently stand.

Yes. If you are a sex worker working in a licensed brothel, you must continue to get a medical examination or test (sexual health check) every 3 months.

Yes. If you are a brothel licensee or an approved manager, you must continue to renew your licence or certificate.

Yes. You must continue to follow the advertising guidelines.

If there is an emergency, call Triple Zero (000) immediately.

If you think someone is breaching the rules for licensed brothels or the advertising guidelines, please contact the Prostitution Licensing Authority.

For all other reports, please contact the Queensland Police Service.